Thursday, May 19, 2011

The end of the third week

As we reach the end of out third week at the institute the bad news is that I am an emotional mess! Missing Mika, Shuly and Naish and the rest of my amazing family and I am struggling at times to stay strong and motivated. The good news is A) that is totally normal and B) Noam and I are both learning more than i ever expected!
I guess the most important thing to remember is that I am not coming home with all my problems solved or with a kid that can speak fluently. What I am coming home with is with a kid who now see's the world through different eyes and a mother who has been given the tools to teach him to continue the vision.
I have so much more to learn and to gain from my time here and for the rest of my life. I guess in a way I am now a little scared to leave an environment that has given me so much support and knowledge. A big part of me wants to stay and learn and a bigger part of me can't wait to get home and continue.

The week saw Noam grow, making me  even prouder if that is at all possible! Not only is he cooperating but he is also learning, taking what he is learning and relating it to every day life skills and understanding. Today with Ayelet ( Noam's cognitive yoga teacher) we discussed briefly Feuerstein's theory of muscle strength and it's relation to the mind! Unfortunately we were unable to discuss this at length but we have taken a rain check for Sunday. I can't wait to fill you all in.


There was a lot of buzz around the institute over the past few days as Noam managed to do a little disappearing act... I wont elaborate on the details as my heart is still feeling the effects of the event. Let me just say it has given a few of the therapists (actually all the therapists even the ones that don't know Noam) a mission to teach Noam danger! they believe they can teach him to stay with mum, hold hands and not run away! All I can say is I HOPE THEY CAN!!  



No comments:

Post a Comment