Sunday, May 8, 2011

Where to begin?
It's been a few days since I have blogged. In the world of 'Noam' a few days can mean a million experiences and a million emotions.
That pretty much describes the past few days we have had.
I am not even sure where to begin. I think the best thing to do in a situation like this is to simply write and whatever comes out you can either enjoy to read or just skip altogether!

Last Thursday was an interesting day at the institute. Besides the usual tears and anger we saw snippets of Noam's capability. An amazing little boy with so much going on in his head. His determination and passion together with his stubbornness has in the past two weeks made me cry laugh and be proud. Last thursday we had many sessions but one which stood in my mind was that with the head of the intensive program. Chana is a woman who i don't know very well, but one that I already admire. Not only is she compassionate and wise she sees beyond what's being displayed on the outside and see's the child for who he is! In reflection i have to say that all the therapist see 'Noam' Their understanding of the 'child' their development and what makes them tick intrigues me more and more every day! In trying to open his mind in a systematic way through play i was amazed at the imitation she was able to pull out of Noam! I have always and will always believe that a child learns through play! What I have learnt over the years with Noam is that his play at times needs to be directed and realistic! what I have learnt through feurenstien is that his play needs to be 'mediated' there is a difference one which i never understood until now! Over the years we have had many issues with Noam mouthing things!! from all types of objects to his thumb. The answer has been to give him this stimulation in a more appropriate way! A rubber strip maybe.. on thursday it was brought to my attention that his need for this stimulation may very well be  not only due to his lack of language but also the types of food he eats (or should I say doesn't eat)!
Hmmm food for thought!

I have to take a break this evening from this blog, sorry i had so much to say but
i As I sit and type  to you all it is 8pm in Israel... Tonight marks the start of Yom Hazikaron - Remembrance day! The Siren rings and I stand in silence together with a country that mourns!


TILL TOMORROW! 

No comments:

Post a Comment